KNOXVILLE | INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY INVESTING
• Intellectual property: investing in good ideas - A university researcher bends over an experiment, hoping to find a new way to make plastics, one that’s free from reliance on ozone-depleting chlorofluorocarbons. As he combines liquid carbon dioxide and surfactants, a gloppy detergent substance, with acrylic paint, the researcher inadvertently creates a soap-like molecule. A new, environmentally friendly dry cleaning process is immaculately conceived, and so is the foundation for a new company.
• Intellectual Property Analysis - Resources made available by Willamette Management Associates, a valuation consulting, economic analysis, and financial advisory services firm. Willamette Management Associates serves industrial and commercial companies, government and regulatory agencies, financial institutions, the accounting profession, and the community—on a national and international basis.
• Intellectual Property Owners Association - a trade association for owners of patents, trademarks, copyrights and trade secrets. IPO is the only association in the U.S. that serves all intellectual property owners in all industries and all fields of technology.
• Electronic Frontier Foundation - You'd like to move the tracks you bought from Rhapsody to a personal stereo like Apple's iPod, but the copy protection prevents you. Creating or using the software necessary to make the switch could put you behind bars.
• Intellectual Property. What is it? - What is Intellectual Property? Intellectual property is any innovation, commercial or artistic, or any unique name, symbol, logo or design used commercially.
• Intellectual Property As Monopoly - Many key technology policy debates in the last hundred years or so have turned on the concept of monopoly. Patents and copyright, each a grant of exclusive rights in created works, have also come under the scrutiny of anti-monopolists.
• Competition & Intellectual Property - The laws concerning private property in free markets are misapplied to "intellectual property" due to a fundamental conceptual error. The words "intellectual property" are a self-contradiction.
• Trade Secrets : Intellectual Property - Intellectual property, including patents, trademarks, service marks, trade names, copyrights and trade secrets, can be an important and commercially valuable asset.
• Trade Secrets - Trade secrets are confidential information not generally available to the public that have commercial value to a business. They make take the form of a formula, practice, process, design, instrument, pattern, or compilation of information, such as customer lists or manufacturing details.
Strategies for Investing in Intellectual Property - This book provides an overview of strategies for investing into intellectual property assets of all forms (patents, copyrights, trademarks, trade secrets, and other rights). It is an invaluable introduction to the subject for all types of investors, from private equity and venture capital investors looking at private deals to hedge fund and mutual fund investors looking at public market opportunities. This book is also of particular help to corporate and intellectual property lawyers that want to understand current trends relating to intellectual property investing.
Among the topics covered are: accounting and valuation, intellectual property analytics, equity investment strategies, arbitrage, and securitization. The book also provides guidance as to why intellectual property assets continue to be of interest to investors, how investors might establish investment criteria, and provides some commentary as to whether intellectual property should be viewed as a discrete asset class.